Saturday 12 July 2014

Upton upon Severn Sprint Triathlon.

This event is very local to me, so, it has to be done, even if only once! Lots from my Tri club (Malvern Triathlon Club) were doing either the Sprint or Standard distance. Along with many other locals who fancy it as a one off or as part of a works relay etc.
Sprint..750m River swim, 23k Bike, 5k Run. Standard 1500 river swim then 2 laps of the bike/run.
This race sells out very quickly. Entries usually open on the 1st January, and its a bit of a mad rush to get a place. At the time it seemed a great idea to do a local event. I was forgetting about the river swim the day I entered. #iwillbefine.
Since Pontevedra I have eased back a little on training, feeling the need for a little easier time,  with the hope of picking things up again after Upton in preparation for trying out some qualifying events for standard distance duathlon later in October.
So, 'do this for fun' 'do it because the tri club are doing it', 'just go out there and enjoy it'....I said all this to myself over and over,...and I believed it! #Joke.
The morning of the race the nerves set in...7, yes 7 visits to the bathroom!! thank god it was an afternoon race as this took some time! Thank god I bought a 2 piece club tri suit and not an all in one ;-)
So, clearly I was now taking this thing seriously.  Registration, racking, briefing, all done. Just the small matter of 750m swimming in the river severn and I will be fine.
Swim Oh god, I hated it. The water was not cold, not too murky, no weed. SARA were there for emergencies. I tried to stay close to the middle hoping that the current would take me, as promised by everyone from the tri club who I am now going to sue, the water level was quite low and the current slow flowing. I soon moved towards the back of the pack and somehow kept drifting to the bank. 'Where's the bridge?' I knew we would be hauled out by burly men just before the bridge, 'where's the bridge'. At last, 'there's the bridge' how can I swim to it? Front crawl, breast stroke, on the back of Keith the seal,? (You need to be a local for that one) please get me there. There seemed to be no other point of reference on this swim other than the bridge. The river bank seemed to look the same all the way. Sigh, I knew I was going to hate it. I felt really dejected, tired, heavy, daunted. Exhausted already. Please burly men GET ME OUT I WANT TO RIDE MY BIKE AND I WANT TO RIDE IT NOW #unleashme.
Bike, I had recced this route the week before at pace so I knew what to expect. It's great. TT bars most of the way with some long flatish sections on quiet B roads. A fast A road for a bit and a cat 4 climb for about half a mile.  I flew, fastest female bike split for the sprint. I loved it, great to see Malvern tri member Steve on his second lap of the standard, I think we boosted each other on.  A long transition to the run.
Run. Farm tracks and stony paths, flat.Traffic free. Two water stations.
The finish is one of those where you can see the finish gantry, but you have to run up and around a cone before you can double back to it.....oooof! 'They think it's all over'...it is........not quite yet, hang on ...Now!
I finished Second lady, 1st in age. Brilliant. I was totally exhausted. Today was hot. The river swim was hard, I hammered the bike, I gave what was left on the run. ......'Just go and enjoy it'....Huh, who said that?
Finish photo.

Malvern tri did exceptionally well, with prizes picked up for 'First female novice' in the standard and 3 second in agegroup. Well done Anne-Marie, Lesley, Lisa and George.
This is a great event. Organisation, marshalls, camping, after food and party, atmosphere. They nail it. I highly recommend it, but be quick ! Entries open 1st of January. 

No comments:

Post a Comment