Friday 4 July 2014

Southport marine lake

Ok, so I entered this some time ago with the intention to qualify for the sprint distance European triathlon 2015 which is to be held in Geneva. However, my ability to swim in open water, um, actually my ability to swim.. .was not as good as I would like it to be. As a kind person told me, I try to use brute force over technique when I swim! This, gets me nowhere fast and I end up exhausted. But, the lake was warm and shallow so I went ahead with the race but had decided not to register my intent to qualify with the BTF. Pressure off. I swam probably just about as well as I could. Well, I wasn't last out of the water, Trying to leave the brute force behind me.
The bike route needed no recce'ing, it was flat, fast and along the sea front. Sounds like a TT dream, great, which it was, but a real grind trying to keep concentration and maintain a strong pace on a route with no turns or undulations. First time I have encountered this on a bike course.
The run was a lap of the lake. Again, first time I have seen 5k stretched out before me, what a long way it looked, how the hell am I going to run that in 20 mins? I biked well, I ran well, I finished third in age...I would've qualified.
Southport marine lake triathlon organised extremely well by vitalevents.co.uk 
I would definitely recommend this race. 

No comments:

Post a Comment