Tuesday 2 April 2019

First race of the year!

March training and racing update.

Yep, the weather is still hit and miss but I guess that's normal for March. I'm so pleased I treated myself to a new smart trainer this year, It has been worth it's weight in gold when it has come to keeping on top of my cycling fitness through the winter. I've not jumped on the Zwift band wagon yet but I am a resident of Sufferlandria.

However I have been making hay whilst the sun shone and managed to get out for some longer rides and even had the TT bike out for a couple of short sharp sessions.

Nutrition
Stocked up
I stocked up on more Tailwind nutrition. This time I have opted for the Naked flavour energy drink as well as the caffeinated green tea. This is because my rides are getting longer and I don't really want/need caffeine in all the nutrition I am taking on for training. I have also decided to go for the chocolate flavour rebuild and recover, a change from vanilla. Both are tasty and both easily break up and dissolve with no glupes or lumps.

Tosser
Early on in March saw my first race of the year.....the all important Rotary club of Malvern Pancake race ! I was in a team of 4 from Heartstart Malvern for which I am a volunteer trainer.....we didn't win. In fact,...in our category there were only 3 teams...we were third ! It's just as well we are better at teaching people how to use a defibrillator and deliver CPR than we are at tossing pancakes whilst we run.

Swimming
The club friday night sessions are doing me the power of good. Plenty of technique coaching as well as CSS paced swimming. This month I have been trying to lengthen and slow down my stroke rate.

Cycling
Winner winner chicken dinner...well, second!
It was great to participate in the VC Sevale 10  mile TT on course K46/10 the last weekend in March. I was pretty relaxed and put myself under no pressure I had litterally had my TT bike out twice this year for some very short burst. So I was thrilled to post my second best time for the course and finish in 2nd place (females)  picking up £30 prize money. Result!! I love the TTs....They feel gritty and old fashioned. Everyone is there to race eyeballs out all the way and do the best they can at that moment. There's no moderate effort going on from anyone. The coffee and cake always tastes better after a TT too.

Running
It was our final timed 10k run with Malvern triathlon club. This time for a bit of fun it was run as a handicap race. Jayne, the organiser, used our best times from the series and staggered the start times accordingly. Unfortunately for me I had posted a really good time for the course back in November so I was one of the last to go off. I didn't catch any one up and was overtaken by two fellas! Resulting in me finishing last in the handcap ! Great fun, looking forward to being motivated through the winter by this series again next year.
Team Jade


Lovin' the runnin'
This month I have really been enjoying my running again...I have had a bit of trouble with my glute/hip, but regular sports massage and daily mobilising exercises seem to be helping this improve. Getting up on the Malvern hills for a run is just the best escape, whatever the weather.














Recovery
I've also taken time out to enjoy plenty of family time. My eldest daughter has returned to the UK after a year living in Tokyo. We've had a family wedding and Mothers day.  So plenty of R&R included in my schedule the month keeping the balance right.
Family R & R

No comments:

Post a Comment