Wednesday 16 August 2017

Cotswold Classic middle distance triathlon

I did it!
I DID IT!!

So, I said 2018 was the year I was to become a successful triathlete and I have !

Cotswold classic, 113 events.
Swim 1.9kms. Bike 56 miles Run 13.1 miles 
After weeks and months of working on my swim in both the pool and at Upton Warren lake my time and effort paid off! The club technique sessions on Friday nights from October to July were the absolute corner stone of my swim journey. Huge thanks go to Stewart, one of our tri club swim coaches, as without his expertise, passion and patience I would not have made the swim gains that got me around the 1.9km lap of Lake 32 at the Cotswold water park.

There were 14 of Malvern Tri club members taking part at the event. For most of us it was our first Middle distance., Half Iron distance.,113. 70.3.,We called it everything !

Apart from the swimming the rest of my training, as usual, was done alone. Huge thanks go to Neill from the club for his help and experience that went towards my training schedule.

Of course the special thanks goes to Ron, for all his support, encouragement and technical expertise. Helping me with decisions on gearing and wheel choice throughout my training as well as race day. And of course for the hours he spends on maintaining and cleaning my bikes. Planning my bike ride routes and generally looking after me !

Race day eve
We stayed overnight in a lovely room in Cirencester. Blaize court studio. 
After an early carb loading meal at the local Italian restaurant we returned to the room to watch Mo Farrah get Silver in the 5000m and settled down to a pretty good nights sleep. Setting the alarm for just after 4am!

Excited in transition.
Race day morning. 
An early start...Ron drove me so far and then dropped me off with my bike and bag to cycle the last bit of the way to the start. Thus avoiding the huge queues for the car park but more importantly Ron could get back to the room and get back into bed for an hour whilst I met up with my MTC team mates and sorted my transition area out. Transition closed at 6.15.


Swim 38.24
I was surprisingly calm at the start. I knew I had trained for this, I felt prepared. I had swam over distance several times at UW lake and felt pretty confident. The lake was warmer than I anticipated.  Malvern were all starting together so there was loads of comfort and support as we all entered the lake together. Dave from the club had arranged for us all to start in the same wave and even managed to get our requested green swim caps !
Seeing the whole 1.9km course in one go surprisingly did not daunt me.
These guys are great. 
I started relaxed and finished relaxed. I thought about my technique all the way. I tried to draft where possible to save energy but never managed to stay on anybody's feet for very long.
After being helped from the water from one of the many volunteers at the finish it took a few steps to get my balance before I could jog through to T1, I glanced at my watch and saw 38 minutes !! Wowee, I was genuinely expecting 40-45. So this gave me a huge boost. I saw Bill and Cliff in transition and realised that I'd done all right !

T1 3.54
I didn't rush it.  Water in my ear was a bit disconcerting so I jiggled around and jumped up and down until that cleared, I didn't want to be dizzy on the bike. Stepping into my already done up race belt was much better than trying to clip it together.

Bike 2.44.10
I was aware that I had not done a ride anywhere near distance since April. I took a steady start for the first few miles, had a drink and something to eat (Peanut butter/cocoa/honey in bitesize wrap) and got comfortable. Steve from the club came along and asked what pace I was riding at as he had left his Garmin in transition ! I saw him several times on the bike leg, along with Bill and Cliff.
Ron was out supporting on the  course, I saw him 4 times. Each time I think I was either eating, or drinking and probably not looking very speedy !
The 2 lap course was smooth going for me. My bike was running very smoothly thanks to Ron. I managed to keep a steady pace of 20-21 mph for the 2 laps. The course is flat, (one hill) with several bends and turns. This really highlighted the fact that my bike handling skills do not match my pedal power. If I need to work on anything its definitely my cornering...something Ron has been telling me for years. I just don't know how to work on it !

T2 2.03
Again no issues. I sat to change my shoes as I was desperate for a wee. A female GB athlete, who shall remain nameless, gave me a top tip at Zofingen last year. She said if you sit on the grass in transition you can have a wee and nobody will know ! I tried. I failed to deliver. Maybe something else to work on !

Run 1.47.42
No problems with starting, my legs were working and i was not daunted by the distance. The sun was shining and I knew the course was flat, and lovely through the woods and around the lake. However I still needed a wee. A fellow female MTC member, who shall also remain nameless (you know who you are) is very proud of the fact that she can go on the run...Literally! I tried,....again I failed to deliver! So, I spotted some toilets en route and dived in. Getting a one piece tri suit down isn't the issue, it's trying to put it back on again over a sweaty body, all whilst your heart rate is about 90 percent of your max !
And relax! post wee.
I did feel much more comfortable for going though, and a glance at my watch made me realise I had started way too fast. I planned on 8 minute mile pace but this was more like 7.30s.  My first of the 3 lap course was too quick. Stupidly I should know better than this and in hindsight should've slowed to my original 8 min mile pace plan.


I saw Ron several times as always giving me great encouraging support. Telling me I looked strong. I felt it. I was really enjoying the run. The marshals were very encouraging and very clear and helpful. Maria, Jess and Matt from the club were marshaling and were doing a great job. Loads of supporters were out. It was great.
Running too fast but loving the moment.
It was just before lap 3 when I started to get a bit of cramp in both calves. My toes started to curl of their own accord, first one foot, then the other. The cramp started to get worse, I was forced to slow quite a bit and tried to relax. It was never enough to stop me completely or reduce me to a walk, but I had to bring the pace right down. This was a bit disappointing as I really wanted a 1 hour 45 minute run.
I approached the finish funnel very happy. Very strong. Very pleased to have finished even though the run was 1 hour 47 minutes.
Arms in the air I was determined to get a good pose for my finish photo !
Happy

Finish 5.16.15
I approached the line and heard my name announced. Ron was there and I heard him shouting and congratulating me. He said 'you tore it up didn't you?' Haha! great. Very pleased it was over.
Yep! done.

I went to the finish area for a bottle of water and some salted peanuts and a banana. Cliff from the club had finished 4 or 5 minutes ahead of me. We queued for our timing slips together and shared our race story.

I then joined Ron on the finish line to watch the rest of the club members come home. All with very different reactions as they crossed the line. It was brilliant. Rich from the club was there taking fabulous photos of us all.

Once were all in we had a team photo and then all headed for home. We had a post race curry night to be ready for!
On the way home I got a message from Heather who was there working on the 'Big bobble hats' stand. I had won a prize for finishing 3rd female over 50! As she coincidentally lives in Malvern she had picked it up for me.

A trophy, and a big bobble hat ! Fantastic, what a great surprise.

Analysing my results later I saw that I was just 8 seconds off 2nd in age group....I now have to work on either my bike handling or my bladder inhibitions ! ...or maybe both.

The event
It's brilliant. I can't fault it. I heard that the car park (new set up this year) was an issue, which didn't affect us, but the organisers (113 events) I'm sure will try to sort this for next year.
I highly recommend this to anybody doing their first middle distance. Or anybody wanting a flat, fast course for both the bike and the run. The lake is also very clean and lovely. Lots of support and lots of very helpful marshals.

Conclusion
I am thrilled to have successfully completed my first middle distance triathlon. I'm feeling so much better about my swimming and know that I can now only improve on this. It's highlighted that I need to put some time into honing my bike skills and that it's still stupid to start the run too quickly, even if you do feel great at the start of it. Next time transitions will not be so relaxed either, but I wanted to be sure I didn't forget anything this time round.
So clearly I'm already thinking about my next one ! Could this be the turning point?




Post race
Quite a few of us from the race met up for a curry and a beer back in Malvern. Club Chair Sarah joined us and got us to all individually stand up and tell the rest of the group what our favourite moment of the weekend was. We had a fabulous night all sharing our stories. Lots of inspirational and happy memories. As ever MTC camaraderie was top notch.
#TeamJade



No comments:

Post a Comment